Lochview Medical Practice

Who should I see?

We try to keep our GP appointments for patients with more serious health problems.

Before you book an appointment to see a doctor please consider whether an appointment with a practice nurse or other health care professional might be appropriate. They can help you with a wide range of medical problems.  For help deciding who is the best person to see click here

Or you can visit the NHS Inform website for short videos and more information on which service is best for you depending on your symptoms. https://www.nhsinform.scot/campaigns/well-keep-you-right

Our receptionists can help you decide who is the right person or service for you to see.  To enable them to do this successfully they will need to ask you a series of questions – anything disclosed to them will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.

Self care

If you have a cough, cold, headache or other minor ailment try treating yourself at home first. Find out more about treatments for common minor ailments.

Please remember that self-care for common conditions can help free up our GPs’ time, making it easier to get an appointment when you have a more serious condition.

Your pharmacist can help too

Pharmacists are highly trained health professionals and can give you confidential health advice for a range of common illnesses and complaints.

Don’t wait for a GP appointment for coughs, colds, aches and pains. Just call your local pharmacy a call or drop in – there’s no need to make an appointment.

You should see the community pharmacist if you have any of the following:-

  • Cough / Cold
  • Sore throat / Earache for less than 3 days
  • Verrucas
  • Head lice
  • Nappy rash
  • Abrasions
  • Insect bites
  • Mouth ulcers / Cold sores
  • Hay fever
  • Shingles
  • Dry skin
  • Piles
  • Pain relief
  • Bruises
  • Emergency contraception
  • Impetigo
  • Thrush
  • Sunburn
  • Uncomplicated urinary tract infections (Cystitis) in women 16-65 years old (service not available for pregnant ladies or diabetic patients).

Your pharmacists can also help you decide if you need to see a doctor or nurse.

Click here for more information about how pharmacies can help you.

NHS 24

111 is the free NHS non-emergency number.

You should use the NHS 24 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Telephone for FREE, dial 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

Click here for more information about how NHS 111 can help you.


A&E is for accidents and emergencies only. Before you go there, ask yourself, “Is it a real emergency?”

If not, please consider using other local health services before you visit A&E.

Date published: 21st March, 2017
Date last updated: 28th June, 2023